We believe in a healthier environment
McKesson UK takes its environmental impact very seriously and is constantly working towards more sustainable business practices. McKesson UK is committed to our vision of “a healthier world where more people live life to the fullest” and we believe a healthier environment is fundamental to achieving this.
Environmental Management System
We have implemented a bespoke Environmental Management System in our Head Office and AAH Distribution Centres. In addition, our John Bell and Croyden pharmacy is accredited to ISO 14001, the International Environmental Management Systems Standard.
Environmentally Sustainable Distribution Network
Our distribution activities incur significant pressure ensuring that correct products get to the right customers at the precise time. Therefore a significant area of our business is devoted to maintaining the balance between environmental sustainability and meeting customer’s needs.
Initiatives to ensure this include:
- Efficient route planning to prevent unnecessary delivery miles; helping reduce traffic and pollution in terms of emissions, noise, and wear and tear on the vehicles and roads.
- Identifying and implementing intra-group transport synergies to reduce delivery miles, increase route efficiency and meet customer needs all whilst reducing our operational environmental impact.
- Increasing backhauling opportunities to reduce incidences of vehicles running back to depot “empty” and therefore increase vehicle utilisation across the fleet.
- Implementation of route-planning software across all of the AAH Pharmaceuticals branch network; generating savings of 1.3million miles and circa 500 tonnes of CO2, the equivalent of 30 vehicles off the road.
- The McKesson UK car policy encourages BMW and Ford vehicles and drives safety and efficiency from these leading manufacturers. This policy has reduced the maximum CO2 emissions (grams per kilometre) from 175 grams to 130 grams.
- 1000 SAFED (Safe and Fuel Efficient Driving), NVQ and EiPD (Excellence in Pharmaceutical Delivery) trained drivers within the fleet.
- All Weather tyres are fitted ted to the AAH van fleet when the temperature drops below 7°C providing excellent delivery performance in adverse weather conditions and reduced weather related accidents.
- Upgrade of the LGV fleet to Euro VI engine vehicles meant a more environmentally friendly fleet with significant reductions in the hydrocarbon, nitrous oxide and particulate emissions.
Producer and Distributor Responsibilities
We take responsibility by ensuring we contribute towards collection, treatment, recycling, reprocessing and environmentally sound disposal of the electrical products, batteries and packaging we introduce to the UK marketplace.
Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) and Batteries
AAH Pharmaceuticals and John Bell & Croyden are producers of electrical and electronic equipment and are members of a Producer Compliance Scheme. As producers we finance the collection, treatment, recycling, reprocessing and environmentally sound disposal of separately collected waste electrical and electronic equipment and waste portable batteries in proportion to market share.
As a distributor of electrical and electronic equipment LloydsPharmacy and John Bell & Croyden have a responsibility to implement WEEE regulations. We have teamed up with over 200 other distributors and joined the Distributor Take back Scheme (DTS), financially supporting a network of collection facilities, where consumers can dispose of their household WEEE free of charge for environmentally sound treatment and recycling. Unfortunately we are not able to accept WEEE within our stores, a list of Designated Collection Facilities can be found at http://www.recycle-more.co.uk.
As a producer of industrial batteries under the Waste Batteries and Accumulators Regulations 2009, we, AAH Pharmaceuticals Ltd, produce lithium ion and lead mobility scooter batteries. We are obliged to take back free of charge, waste industrial batteries supplied to an end user for treatment and recycling. We are required to do this in any calendar year we place new industrial batteries on the market. If any of our customers or in certain cases other end users, require us to take back Industrial batteries, they should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will agree the necessary arrangements for the return, proper treatment and recycling of the waste industrial batteries.
If you require assistance with disposing of old mobility scooter batteries please contact email@example.com
As part of the Waste Packaging Regulations, McKesson UK has joined a Packaging Compliance Scheme to ensure a proportion of the packaging we place on the market is recovered and recycled. You can find advice and guidance on recycling at: https://www.complydirect.com/the-recycling-room/
Single Use Carrier Bag Levy
Under carrier bag charging legislation, our LloydsPharmacy stores are required to charge 5p for every single use carrier bag sold. Proceeds of the carrier bag charge are donated to the Alzheimer’s Society, Alzheimer’s Scotland, and in Northern Ireland, to the NIEA (Northern Ireland Environment Agency).
Exemptions for the charge include prescription bags (where the bag only contains Prescription Only Medicines or Pharmacy Medicines). Any ‘over the counter’ items requiring a carrier bag will be charged.
LloydsPharmacy supports the initiative to promote wider use of reusable bags and conserve our limited resources, encourage sustainability, and cut down on waste and litter.
Health and Safety
We believe in our vision of “a healthier world where more people can live life to the fullest”, so preventing injury and ill health, and ensuring the safety of everyone affected by our activities is one of our biggest priorities.
As a minimum we will achieve full compliance with all legal and other requirements surrounding our business activities. We will drive continuous improvement of health and safety management and performance through the setting and regular reviewing of health and safety objectives and targets across all areas of McKesson UK.